Monday, July 23, 2012

Know the enemy!

I've come to learn that I need to know the enemy. I mean, how can you fight the enemy if you can't predict his next move. The enemy I speak of? Satan himself. He knows exactly where to tempt us, exactly where to hit us to make us crumble. How does he know this? I believe he studies us. We have to be on guard and ready for battle at all times.

Ephesians 6:10-13a says this:

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground
Satan's basic plan is this: Distraction => Addiction => Destruction
He may use different tactics to get to the end result, but his ultimate goal is to see your demise.

If I can begin to recognize when I'm being distracted, I can stop Satan's stronghold in my life. Ephesians 5:15-17:

15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

What stops me from making the most of every opportunity?  Sometimes sin, sometimes busyness, but always distraction. Remember Mary and Martha? What Martha was doing (working in the kitchen to prepare a meal) was not a bad thing in and of itself, but she had chosen the wrong thing. She missed the chance to sit at the feet of Jesus and hear first hand the will of God for her life. Jesus would have been happy to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but Martha became distracted with what she thought would be the better thing.  

Another distraction I know I struggle with is 'connection' to the rest of the world. We live in an information over-load society. We have cell phones, e-mail, laptops, texting, instagram, pinterest, DVR...all at our fingertips.  Keeping up on everything, can make us miss out on the One thing.

We must be sensitive to where our weaknesses are. Satan is ready to seek and destroy at the first opportunity we give him. He will do anything to take time away from God and we may miss the blessing.  We have to be on guard. Be aware. Be ready for battle at all times. I'm reminded of a soldier on watch. He can not afford to snooze or take a break. The safety of his unit he is in charge of protecting, depends on it. In the same token, we have to constantly be looking for Satan lurking around every corner. Only then can we be ready when the forces come.

If we go back to the Armor of God for just a little bit, we will see that the only weapon we have against an attack is the sword of the Spirit, or the Word of God.

Hebrews 4:12 says: For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Memorized scripture will help us to stop the enemy every time. The Word of God remembered in the midst of battle can stop Satan's attack or allow some radical Matrix moves to avoid being hit. 

Dear Lord,
So many times I feel I wake up in the middle of battle. Help me to recognize and withstand the attack before the battle begins. I thank you Lord for guiding me to see where I have failed to put on Your armor daily. The days are evil Lord, and only through You will I be victorious. I love you Lord and I thank you for working in my life. Amen.

*Repost with little editing from the archives - 1/4/09

No comments: