Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Day 10:: Lay down your pride



It's O.K. It's O.K. to ask for help. It's O.K. to look for help. It's O.K. to receive help. It's O.K.

Now that we have that out of the way, I want to encourage you to take advantage. Take advantage of all the resources that you are offered.

I know it can feel awkward. I know that you can feel like a charity case. I understand that the stigma behind state and federal resources is not pleasant. I understand the humility it takes to walk into that office and ask. Believe me, I've been there. Maybe you don't look nor feel like you need it. But I also know that they were created to help people like you and me.

People who work and provide and do what they can, but still somehow fall a little short. Who could use a little bit of help. I'm here to tell you, that if you qualify, then take advantage. You pay the taxes for it, you might as well benefit if you qualify. And don't be embarrassed about it.

Food stamps, state healthcare, local food pantry's, reduced school lunches. Whatever you can find to ease the burden.

My Grandmother always said she'd 'scratch s%*t with the chickens, if that is what it took to take care of her kids'. Bet you haven't heard that one before!

((Wait, what?! Did she just say that?))

Yes, yes I did. You would have to know my Grandmother. She was a very quiet but direct woman who loved the Lord. She wouldn't cuss very often, but when she did it was somehow....appropriate. And yes, this is still a Christian blog. ; )

Get out and scratch!

Did you know there were also grants and scholarships offered just for single mother's to go back to school? And you can probably qualify for financial aid. Go and get that degree if that is what you want to do. So what if it takes almost twice as long? If that is what you want, then go for it! You will never know if it is possible until you try.

So, lay down your pride. Take advantage of those resources. It may be a temporary fix until you can get back on your feet. But even if it's not, you can still take pride that you did all that you could to take care of your kiddos.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

No comments: