Saturday, February 5, 2011

Treasures

I can't begin to count how many times I have lifted a glass off of the shelf and out of the cupboard.  Such a simple task really.  One I have performed without incident countless times.  But on this day, the cheaply made Wal-Mart - made of steel - tumbler slipped out of my hand and crashed into my Grandmother's antique pedestal bowl.  My heart sank as I began to find shards of beautiful red crystal scattered about the cabinet.  I began to weep.  And I'm not talking  a-few-tears-running-down-the-face kind of cry.  I'm talking the ugly cry.  As I began to mourn the bowl, I also began to mourn the passing of my sweet Grandma.  And as I thought more and more about her and what she means to me, it slowly sank in that the day marked what would have been her 99th Birthday.  The tears would not stop.  My heart began to cry out to my Lord.  My sustainer, my comforter, the One whom she walks with now.
And gently, ever so sweetly I heard Him say, "My Daughter, where is your treasure?"

Jesus says in Matthew 6:19-21.  "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  

An overwhelming sense of worship filled my soul.  My treasure does not reside in an object.  It does not inhabit my memories.  It does not even dwell on this earth.  My treasure abides only in Him.  In His ways.  And through His grace.
Isaiah 45:3 says: I will give you hidden treasures, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the LORD, the God of Israel, who summons you by name. 

My Grandmother's elegant antique bowl still sits in a place of honor in my home.  But now it has a beautiful reminder from my sovereign Lord.  One I will cherish for all eternity.

2 comments:

Your Father In-law said...

2Co 4:18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

The things that we have here on earth, even though they are precious to us will one day pass away. The Lord has promised us even greater things, Eternal Life, Eternal Home, And HIS presence face to face, not to mention that great reunion with our loved ones. Praise the Lord for Godly grandparents that we will see again.
I praise the Lord for YOU and your family. God Bless you. Love YOU.

Mrs. Seals said...

I did something similar a few years back. I have a huge collection of my grandmothers depression glass. I was unwrapping some of the items to take a look in my parents basement and I dropped a lovely water pitcher onto the floor. It broke into a million pieces and I cried. Packed it all back up and haven't unwrapped it since. I'm just waiting to find the right china cabinet to display it in, in about 20 years when the kids are out of the house. Cause I'm afraid something else will get broke. My found one similar and bought it for me, but it's not the same. I miss my grandma & didn't know about the beautiful depression glass until after she passed.