Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sweet nothings

"Mom!  Hey Mom," he whispered rather loudly through the baby monitor.  "Can you hear me?  I love you!" Standing over stove in the craze of evening, worn from the day and suddenly my heart swelled and my load lightened.  Power in the spoken word.  He bound down the stairs, excitement swirling, wondering if I'd heard his sweet message.

Proverbs 16:24
Gracious words are a honeycomb,
   sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.


Healing to the bones.  God's healing power in the spoken word.  I have to admit in the trenches of parenthood, my words do not always drip honey, sweet and healing.  Busyness, impatience, lack of rest....any of these can plug the flow of graciousness and spark a fire.   But sometimes, a word withheld can be as damaging as one spoken carelessly.  So why are we not more free to give praise to another?  To encourage, uplift, to be gracious or even offer forgiveness?

  • You did a great job!
  • Thank you so much for _________.
  • You mean so much to me.
  • I'm proud of you.
  • You're such a great friend.
  • Look how much you have improved!
  • Your smile warms my heart!
  • I really enjoyed my time with you today.
  • I will always love you.
  • I'm so proud to be your Mom.
  • I love your hugs.
  • Good morning beautiful!
  • You are beautiful inside and out!
  • I love the way you _______.
  • I made a mistake.  Will you forgive me?
  • I trust you.
  • I have faith in you.
  • You can do it!
  • Tell me more.
  • Hello cutie, sweetheart etc.
  • What a gift you are to me.  

When David was almost three years old I joined him and his preschool group for a field trip.  When I arrived, I stood back and observed him and his friends for a few minutes.  He looked adorable and so grown up.  I approached him and said, "Hey cutie!"  His face lit up and he just beamed!  He called me cutie for about 3 weeks. 

Proverbs 10:11 says that the mouth is a fountain of life.
Be free with your praise.  Don't hold back on encouragement.  And use your mouth to speak life into another.  You won't regret it.


Psalm 19:14 -
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
   be pleasing in your sight,
   LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

No comments: