Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day 2:: Dare to Dream...


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come; the old is gone, the new is here!"

It was an early morning before work.  I did my morning routine without flaw, not really paying much attention.  But as I was ready to leave the bathroom, I took one last look in the mirror.  And I paused.

I barely recognized the woman staring back at me.  She looked different.  Older than what I remembered.  The vibrant young mother and bride from a few years back looked tired and worn.  Her eyes, once full of life and promise, were surrounded by puffiness due to lack of sleep.  Her face revealed lines and creases never before visible.

And was that seriously a gray hair?!  Surely not!  Please tell me it is some weird reflection of light.

I went through a bit of an identity crisis on my journey into single motherhood.  I realized that for years I had poured all of my identity into what I did, not who I was.

Oh, I had dreams of writing and speaking and becoming more.  But they were never important.  They were never supported.  They were just that:  dreams.  Unattainable goals.  Because nothing I ever wanted was a priority.  I had children and a home and a business to run financially.  I didn't have time for anything else.

And deep down I always hoped that 'someday' I would have my turn to chase something just for me.

Well, someday came sooner than I expected and not anywhere close to how I pictured.  And now with the majority of the responsibility of parenting resting on my shoulders, some days are more like drowning than dreaming.

My home is not immaculate.  If you walked into my bedroom right now, you run the risk of choking to death on a dust bunny.

My kids eat peanut butter and jelly, cereal or mac and cheese for supper on more nights than I care to admit.

And we may, or may not, have invested in Febreeze and referred to it as laundry day.  Just sayin'.

But here's the beautiful truth: My worth and abilities are not wrapped up in how perfect my life appears to be.  And my dreams are not dependent on my ability to have it all together.

Because my hope is in the One who is perfect.  He directs my paths and He plants my dreams.  And He is making a new creation in me.

And the same goes for you, beloved.  

Maybe the old passed away, but the new is so much better.  Grab onto it as a lifeline.  You don't have to be perfect.  You don't have to have it all together.  You just have to hold on and rest in His presence and He will give you the dreams of your heart.

"Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

What do you dare to dream?  And how can we pray for you on your journey?  Share in the comments and let's encourage each other as we aspire for something more.

No comments: