Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day Dad! I wanted to take a little time and recognize my Daddy.

Things I remember about my Dad:

I will always remember your hands. They are big and rough from the hard work you did, but they were always gentle and loving. I love my Dad's hands.

I remember one winter I was sick and we had a big snow. Since I couldn't go outside, you went outside my bedroom window and built me a snow man. Thanks Dad! I'll never forget that.

I remember times fishing off the shore and also in the fishing boat. You always kept your patience with me and helped me to catch a good fish. I found out later that I may not have caught them all, but you put a couple on my hooks. HA! Thanks Dad.

I remember dancing on Dad's feet.

I remember silly songs we'd sing.

I remember hundreds of checkers games, card games and other board games.

I remember fun trips in the truck to the hardware store and to Wal-Mart.

I remember the Snow Monster.

I remember saying "Holdie Daddy" and you would always pick me up, even when I was too big.

I remember times you took me to the movie theater and out to dinner when I was a teen.

I remember our DQ stops after leaving Grandma's.

I remember fun times on vacation: snowball fights in the mountains in the heat of summer, every outdoor swimming pool from Illinois to California, playing pool in one hotel as a teen and being amazed you were really good, fishing in CA and catching the biggest fish ever with Wheaties cereal of all things.

As I got older, I remember you always checking the oil in my car and filling it up with gas.

I remember times you came to my rescue when I wasn't quite doing what I should be.

I remember times when I should have listened to you and I didn't. I was too young to appreciate your wisdom, but today I cherish it.

I'll never eat a Peppermint Pattie again and not think of you.

I remember times laughing with/at Mom.

I remember you self-portraits with the camera.

I remember when David was born. I remember you helping me with my labor and finally the complete joy on your face when you held him for the first time.

I have hundreds of other memories about you Dad. I can't name them all here.

I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for providing for our family and working so hard for so many years so we could have a good life. Over the years, you've taught me how a woman should be treated through your silent example with Mom. You taught me that a good day's work is something to be proud of. You taught me to always do what you can to help another. Your heart is the size of Texas and I can remember numerous times when you reached out your hand to the one that was less privileged. Too many times you came home from work and had picked up a hitch hiker (much to mom's dismay). You always seemed to be on the look out for someone you could help.
Thanks Dad for all the oil changes, the gas fill-ups, the money to give me a boost, the trips to Wal-Mart in the recent months to help us out. Thanks also for your love and support over the years. I wouldn't be the woman I am today if you had not been in my life. I love you. My kids love you. You are a great Father and a wonderful Grandfather. Happy Father's Day Dad!

Phil. 1:3 I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.

No comments: