Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The gift of the Magi?

The night was beginning to wind down. I had just finished giving the kids a bath and sent them downstairs for a little play time before bed, while I sorted some laundry. I wasn't quite done with my task, when I heard Madelyn start fussing. "Come here Madelyn!" I called downstairs. I peered over the rail as she began her ascent..... That's when I saw it... a clump of hair on her shoulder... My heart froze. My thoughts began to race. I opened my mouth. "David! What did you do!?" "I cut Madelyn's hair!" he said so proudly as he followed her up the stairs. "No David!" was all I could seem to say.
As she reached the top, I grabbed a comb and began to assess the damage. The more I combed, the more hair fell to the floor... in clumps... and the farther my heart sank into the pit of my stomach. "David, you do not cut Madelyn's hair," I said. "Madelyn cut my hair," he said. "Are you kidding me?!" I thought. At that point I looked up and noticed a tuft of hair sticking up on the back of his head. Wonderful... I gathered Madelyn's hair and headed downstairs.
As I reached the living room, I began to follow a trail of clumps that seemed to be scattered like bread crumbs all the way to the chair. With each one I picked up I was more dumbfounded. What were they thinking?! The pile I collected was large enough to be found in any salon.
After reiterating several times that we do not use scissors, I realized I may be partially to blame. I did accidentally leave the scissors on the cabinet instead of putting them back in the drawer. And...I may have.... inadvertently ....mentioned to them that they needed hair cuts while I was giving them a bath. No wonder David was so proud of his task. He was just helping me out.



No, your eyes are not deceiving you. The flash is glistening off of her BALD HEAD!

That evening, I learned 2 things. Never underestimate the mind of a three year old. And never ever ever, under any circumstance... talk to your children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky,
It happens to the best of us. Welcome to the club!

But please... don't stop talking to the kids! ;-)

Sarah said...

Yes, Abbey cut her's and Emma's when she was three. Then there was the time Diane let Abbey have the roller brush and we had to cut it off almost at the roots!! Lauren just cuts the dolls hair.