Friday, June 26, 2009

My heart is burdened...

This has been a difficult week. A dear, dear child in our church's youth group was sadly taken away in a tragic auto accident. She was 16. Many of our students are hurting as they grieve the loss of one of their own. And myself as a parent is trying to grip my mind around the tragic loss of a child. As a Christian and believer in the One True God, I still have a deep burning question as to why? What purpose does this serve?

I came across a blog today. Many of you may remember back in February when Pastor Shelby delivered a Sunday morning sermon with our sanctuary filled with balloons. He showed a video that morning of a little boy named Eliot.




On January 17, 2007 Matt Mooney, Eliot's Father posted the following to his blog. Please take a moment to read it in it's entirety.

The Truth Hurts (Part I)

I think we as a Church body (and I'm talking God's Church here, not just my church) need to remember that it's OK to be where you are. It's OK to have questions. I'm reminded that Jesus questioned 'why' on the cross. And I'm also reminded that in the Garden He even asked for the mental torment, anguish and heartache to be taken from Him.

I think that Matt is right when he says we get so used to the 'I'm fine' answer. How many times to do we ask the question 'How are you?' that we are truly wanting an honest response. I think this speaks to us on both sides. Matt's side, and the other side. I just hope that we can learn to truly show God's love to one another as He intended. Because He's been on both sides too!!

Oh dear Heavenly Father,
I ask that You draw near to these students in this time of heart ache. I ask that you comfort them as only You know how to do. I ask that we as fellow brothers and sisters in You can affirm them in their feelings whatever they may be. That we will let Your light shine in all that we do. Give us discernment on when to hug and when to stay away, on when to speak and when to be silent. Above all, we ask that You be glorified in all things. For it is in Your glorious Name I pray, Amen.

No comments: