Monday, March 26, 2012

Anchored

A cool, crisp spring afternoon I took a quiet walk in the woods.  My heart was heavy and my burden was much.  And God met me there in that place.




I was surprised to see this seemingly strong tree lying flat.  I can picture this tree standing straight and tall, filled with leaves until the winds came and the storms swept over the land.

Isaiah chapter 43 verses 1 and 2 says:

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name,
you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze."

When. 
When trouble comes. 
When you have to walk through the fire. 
He promises trouble, but He also promises redemption.  We do not have to be afraid.


I am by no means a tree expert, but I do know that the roots play an important role in the transport of water and minerals from the soil to the rest of the tree.  They also help to keep a tree anchored.  If roots do not dig deep enough, precious minerals can be lost.  Strength can be compromised. So, unlike this tree, how can we stand up when the storm comes?  Oh, how He is faithful to answer. 

How happy is the man
who does not follow the advice of the wicked
or take the path of sinners 
or join a group of mockers!
Instead, his delight is in the Lord's instruction,
and he meditates on it day and night.
He is like a tree planted (firmly) beside streams of water
that bears its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
Whatever he does prospers.

Psalm 1:1-3 HCSB  (NIV)

It's not enough in verse one to just do the right things.  To try and steer yourself away from sin.  To try and live the "right" life.  Our delight needs to be in the Lord's instruction.  We need to be in God's Word.  To dig deeper.  To meditate on His Words, day and night.  To not just be His child on the surface, but to be a child anchored to His promises.  Only then can we remain firm and steadfast when the trouble comes. 

My strength to overcome, does not lie in me. 
I will not fear. 
I will delight in His instruction. 
I choose to lean on Him.
Anchored to the One who has redeemed me.


No comments: