Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hide the Word Wednesday

OK friends, I have a challenge for you.

Awhile back, God laid on my heart that I need to be memorizing more scripture and I have failed at this miserably. I believe if it is stored away in our memory banks, God will use it at the perfect time to minister to our needs, whatever they may be at the time. We can also use them to minister to others. And as I used to remind the youth in our church: right now we live in a free country. We can at anytime pick up our Bible's as reference for our needs; as well as our pleasure. But there may be a time where this freedom is not ours to have. Not every person in every country has this freedom without facing certain death. If there would ever be a time when our Lord's precious Words of instruction were taken away from us, they could never take away what was already in our hearts and minds.

So starting today, I am going to commit to hide God's precious Words of instruction in my heart. I would love it so much if you would join me in this endeavor. I know that God will reveal Himself to us in a mighty way as we meditate on His promises.

So here are a few tips to help you get started.
#1 - Make a plan - if you do not make a commitment it probably won't happen.
#2 - Find a friend to keep you accountable - You'll always have me. We can encourage each other as we go along.
#3 - Pray about it. God will lead you to obedience if this is what He wants for your life.

#4 - Finally, follow this method. On day 1, read the passage aloud 10 times, then say it 10 times with out looking. On day 2, repeat it 10 times looking only if you have to. Then repeat the verse daily for the rest of the week. Use the same format each week but also repeat each previously memorized verse once daily. You may also want to use index cards.

I have always had a hard time memorizing scripture, but the above method works well. I know that God will be faithful to us as we commit this time to Him.

Drop me a little line on here if you want to commit to hiding His Word. I'll be praying for you as we go along on this journey. And if you have any tips for the rest of us, do share! :)

Week #1 - God's goodness

Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. Psalm 34:8

Don't you just love this verse? I think it was written especially for us women. Anything that has to do with taste or food immediately grabs my attention for some reason! When I hear the word refuge I usually think to flee for protection. But it can also mean to put trust in God or to confide or hope in God. Is He truly your refuge? Do you trust Him with all aspects of your life or are you holding something back? Do you confide in Him all your hopes, fears, dreams and failures? I encourage you this week as you meditate on this verse, to not only memorize it, but to believe it. For He IS good!

No comments: